Sunday, March 1, 2015

Saturday Event and Something Bizarre

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

More crappy weather.  It's still cold and wet.  Tomorrow the sun will shine until next weekend and it will turn yucky again.  Funny though, the trees are in bloom and the grass I planted last year is growing.  Oh Mother Nature, I try to understand her and I am sure we are doing things that affect her.

Saturday I had another mega event but here in Monterrey.  I left the house in the the fog, 3C and wet.   I got downtown in good time only because I left early.   I doubted many teachers would show up because of the cold but with a promise of a full breakfast and and a wonderful coffee break they came in record numbers.

The book's auther was here for the plenary and I did support talks to groups of 100.  It was great and the good thing is that after all these years many in the crowd are recognizable faces.   A lot of fun and sharing of information.   We had a raffle at the end including a new IPod.  

Now for the bizarre.  We have a Sony Bravia flat screen in the studio that we never use.   In the bedroom sits a Philips 27" that was purchased in 1996.  We use it for the news and DVDs.  I decided it was time to ring out the old and ring in the new.   The remote control quit working.  It does everything but turn the television (or what do we say now? screen, flat screen, video device) and off.  I switched out the remote batteries, nothing.   I unplugged it to reset it, nothing.  

I decided to go on line and do some research.  I found the manual and began reading.  I didn't see much of anything except for a million features I never knew it had.  Then came the trouble shooting section.  Here is what it has for the remote control:


  • To determine if the problem is with the remote control or not, press a button on the TV.
  • Check the polarity of the batteries or replace the batteries.
Slide the cover to open.
  • Point the remote control at the remote control sensor located at the front of the TV.
  • Keep the remote control sensor area clear from obstacles.
  • Fluorescent light can interfere with remote control operation; try turning off the fluorescent light.

I went through each one until I got to the last one.  Juan has a regular bulb on a dimmer, the only incandescent bulb in the house, and I have an LED.  We turned off our table lamps and bingo.  The remote turns off/on the television.  I'm guessing it's something in the electronics of the LED bulb.  Who knew!

3 comments:

  1. Who would have guessed? Something else for the memory banks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! Learn something new every day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Good research. Glad the went so well for you.

    ReplyDelete