Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day Trip To Dolores Hidalgo

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com


I had a small but meaningful accomplishment this morning and I decided to celebrate by going to Dolores Hidalgo.  I also wanted to check out San Ramon Rv Park.  I took off from El Charco and headed for the highway.   San Ramon isn't far from town actually.  They make no concessions whatsoever on price.  180 per day, 1180 per week, and 4500 per month.  I asked the guy what he would charge if I just wanted to dump and he said 180.   He showed me both areas of the park, one is sunny and the one in the back is shaded.  He said he could put me in the sun because of the solar panel.  I told him I thought not and I would want to be in the shade and use their electricity.   I may stay there a night just to dump and fill up with water and have a long shower.

I've been very conservative with water.  I think I could go two or three weeks with the 40 gallons I brought.  I shower daily but it's not really a shower.  Get wet, soap up and rinse off.  Same with dishes.  The black tank will last just as long.  Boondocker's rule, "if it's yellow let it mellow".   Something we have to deal with.

The parking is behind here.


The highway is great and it's about a 40 minute drive.  First stop was the city auditorium.  Proteccion Civil has their office in the back.  We stayed there last time we were in town.   I talked to one of the big wigs and he gave me his cell number.  He said to call in advance so they would know to save me space.  The have wonderful wifi.   Very nice people.  

Left my car there as parking is expensive and hard to find.  Street parking is very limited and usually taken up by the locals or it's only one hour parking.  I saw transito taking plates off cars.  We don't want that do we.   I headed to the main plaza.


I searched for the market where we have eaten before, it is about two blocks from the main plaza.  It was time to eat.


This was before.  A delicious plate of cheese enchiladas!


And after the dirty deed!


I'm sure many of you have been to Dolores Hidalgo and know it is the cradle of Mexican independence which took place between 1810 and 1821.  The key players or heroes as we call them were Miguel Hidalgo, Ignacio Allende, Juan Aldama, and Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez (yes a woman played a very important role in Mexican independence), the list goes on but I'm sure you've seen all the street names above.  As you know we celebrate Mexican independence with El Grito (the scream literally translated) by say Viva Mexico after each person's name and ringing a bell.  That was actually the beginning of the war for independence and you can stand where Miguel Hidalgo said this that famous night in 1810.  I have a picture on a previous post of the spot.


I went back to the main plaza after walking around and buying myself a shirt for 50 pesos.  I sat in the shade and watched people eat ice cream.  Some of the flavors include; shrimp, avocado, chicharron (pig skins), chorizo, rose water, well you get the idea.  I was too full from my combo breakfast, lunch, dinner, that I just took in the scenery.   Very nice weather, it got up to 28C today.  Last night I had to wear sweats to bed.



Tomorrow I may go to the Ignacio Allende museum.  Joan posted that it is free on Sundays.  I don't think I know Joan.  Hi Joan!!!  

5 comments:

  1. Love Dolores Hidalgo! It looks like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we went to Dolores Hidalgo we never went into the centre of town, just the outskirts but I know when we are in that area again we will definitely go into town and wander around and get some of that famous ice cream! Glad you had a great day out.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised at how unflexible the San Ramon RV Park is. He could have at least given you a better price to dump. I bet there was no one camping there at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder what color your new shirt is????? lol Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!! Yes, free on Sundays has been my experience.
    Interesting history of San Miguel.

    ReplyDelete